York Preservation Committee Meeting Minutes
May 10, 2006
Libby, Barbara, Carol, Lynn, Ray, Toni, (Interns: Marie and Steven)
1. Barbara will check with state archives to see how to input data the interns have collected into state system.
2. Barbara will meet with Vaughn Hagen for history on Norway Hall and to see if therešs any interest in the Scandinavian community in researching York.
3. At next meeting we will discuss whether to move meeting to first Wed. of the month so Anne Mackie can attend.
4. We will all encourage others to research their homes
1. Listing of historic homes
Interns have completed 1200,1300, and 1400 blocks of Ellis and the triangle.
They are researching specific homes in depth.
Marie and Steven reported some of their in depth findings. (See below, email from Toni Nagel)
2. Process for Local Designation.
Toni suggested we contact Jackie Lynch and Katie Franks, which Barbara has done.
3..Summary of April 22 Museum workshop on historic house research.
4. Heritage tree preservation issues.
Barbara is interested having trees included in neighborhood historic preservation and in designating "heritage" trees in neighborhood plans. She is pursuing a "heritage tree ordinance" for the City of Bellingham.
5. Revisit issue of local/national designation. Group again affirmed our desire to move forward with local historic designation through city council.
6. Update on zoning. We discussed issue of Muljatšs comments regarding rezone.
Next meeting Wed. June 14
Submitted Barbara Davenport
EMAIL FROM TONI NAGEL regarding progress on historic home inventory.
We are planning to join you at 7 p.m. on Wed., May 10th and Marie and
Steven will give you a report of their work so far. They have photographically documented all houses on the East side of Ellis Street and are ready to begin architectural descriptions and documented some occupant histories. If anyone has completed any house histories for any of the structures on Ellis, please let us know so we won't duplicate work. Once they have completed these state worksheets for these houses, they will move onto structures in the triangle area across Ellis.
We are able to bring up current owners from the Tax Assessor's website, so it was a good learning exercise for Steve and Marie and they have recorded this on the forms.
Toni L. Nagel, Photo Archivist/Curator
Whatcom Museum of History & Art
121 Prospect Street, Bellingham, WA 98225
360-676-6981 ext. 208 phone