Association Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, May 16,
7:07 – 8:35 pm
Garden Street United
Present: Anne Mackie, Jessica Bandstra, Sarah
Bates, Carol Dixon, Elliott Smith, George Liepart,
and Libby Stark.
Barbara Davenport, Jeff Bates, Helen Jackson indicated they
would not be present.
Guests: Kathryn Hanowell from COB
and Don Gischer from City Council 4th Ward
Elliott Smith will be graduating from WWU this June. A card was passed around to sign and Libby is
collecting money for a gift.
Approval of minutes:
Sarah Bates made a motion to approve the minutes from the April board
meeting. Elliott seconded and the
motion passed unanimously.
I. Current issues
with an upcoming deadline:
Safety: Elliott reported the safe
pedestrian crossing along Lakeway and Samish did not make the cut for the TIP proposal. It did, however, begin a dialogue with Sehome Neighborhood Association and COB about safe
pedestrian crossings along these two streets. It was stressed that York Neighborhood
wants to be a walkable neighborhood. The NTSP was submitted by Tom
Scott. The three streets submitted
to be evaluated by Public Works for this proposal were: Whatcom from
Ellis to Grant, Gladstone from Ellis to Iron and Humboldt from Potter to
Gladstone. Kathryn Hanowell reported that they received many applications
for safe pedestrian crossings and that next year the TIP will have a
section especially for pedestrian crossings. Elliott said it would be helpful to have
better guidelines presented to the neighborhoods on the application
process. Anne Mackie
noted that we have gathered over 400 signatures on petitions for a
crosswalk on Lakeway.
sign damage and repair: Anne
reported the “welcome” piece of the sign at the corner of Magnolia and
Ellis streets is gone. A police
report has been filed by the homeowner.
Anne will get a cost estimate for the replacement piece and perhaps
some metal backing to prevent further vandalism. Kathryn said neighborhood signs will be
looked at from a policy standpoint.
Elliott suggested a small fence around the sign may act as a
Day: Dumpster Day will be held
Saturday, June 2. Jessica has been
working with Paul, president of SSC, who graciously donated a dumpster for
our use. The dumpster will be
delivered Friday evening to Nelson’s and Anne and Jon Ostby
will be there to set up cones around it.
A thank you will be placed in the newsletter and letters of
recognition will be written to City Council and the Mayor. Jessica will be coordinating volunteer
trucks to haul trash to the dumpsters.
It was noted that someone should bring a camera and a thank you
sign so we can take a picture for SSC and the next newsletter. Guidelines for what is allowed to be put
in the dumpster will be published in the newsletter. Jessica will also call ReSources to see if they may be available to take some
planting: Anne reported we received
$1200 from the Small and Simple grant for tree planting. This will provide about 40 trees. Joe and Nick Hartrich
are the tree planting coordinators this year. They will need to identify areas that
would benefit from a tree, talk to the owner and ask for a contribution of
$20 for cost sharing of the project.
Trees will be planted in the fall.
- Newsletter: Jessica is still waiting for
articles. Newsletter delivery will
be Memorial Day weekend. Jessica
will be out of town and somebody will be needed to pick up the newsletters
from the printer’s. Jessica requested
we develop a more clear process for newsletter content and deadlines. Jessica declined the offer of YNA buying
Publisher so she can work on the newsletter at home as she mentions that
she and her family may be moving in September. As there have been quite a few ads
placed it was suggested we may need to set a limit for how many pages can
be devoted to ad space.
reunion and picnic 9/22: Anne noted
that YN received a Small and Simple grant for about $1300 to be used for
the Franklin and Lincoln school reunion to be held during the annual
membership picnic. A small article
was featured in the Herald and Anne has received several calls
already. She is actively recruiting
participants to assist with planning.
forum: Nobody from this committee was present. Anne will call Tom to see what the plan
is. It was mentioned that the
League of Women Voters is hosting a candidate forum on 7/18 at Municipal
Court with a focus on neighborhoods.
responsibilities: Deferred until June. It was suggested we develop a more clear
process for mid-year board elections.
Elliott brought up the issue of student representatives and stated
he would return to the WWU CCC with our board’s definition of a student
Committee: Fifteen members have
been working on the plan update.
Walk-abouts have occurred where participants review the
neighborhood and think creatively about infill, development, historic
character and strengths. The next
meeting will be on 5/21 at 6 pm at Nelson’s for another walk-about. WWU student Eric Peterson has been
working on an online survey that will be shown to Planning Committee
members at the next sit-down meeting.
Eric told Anne that there may be a small cost involved (under $50).
Preservation: See attached notes
provided by Barbara Davenport.
Hill Park Steward: George noted
that the grass has been cut and a garbage can was finally put in! Transients are still loitering and
sleeping at the park. The abandoned
garage at 1429 Iron is still there despite the owner being given a 90 day
notice to remove the debris several years ago. Elliott brought up the concern of
illegal activities occurring at the park.
George needs assistance pulling weeds. Sarah noted that Jeff Bates was awarded
the grant he applied for in early spring with the Parks Department to
install a bench in the park. It is
unclear what the next steps are. George
is still waiting after 15 months to get the bench placed in memory of his
wife but it was suggested that the second bench could replace the old one
that is currently by the basketball court.
Park Committee Chair: See attached
notes provided by Helen.
Club Chair: Carol Dixon reported
that the first potluck of the year was held and there were several new
faces to the Garden Club. The next
potluck will be held at Mary Newman’s house. Carol is still investigating a night at
Bear Creek Nursery for June.
- Treasurer: Helen provided the treasury report indicating
we have $1725.14 in our checking account.
A round of applause was given to George for soliciting so many
business donations. See attached.
Street construction project: Tom
has been emailing out updates on construction that he receives from Public
Works. Elliott brought up the issue
of lights and asked if they were the Broadway “shoebox” lights. Kathryn doubted they were. It was noted that it is unfortunate they
are not historic lights.
apartment at 506 Potter: No new
update other than the Planning Department sent a letter to the designer
Todd Fuller asking for a more historic design. The date with the hearing examiner is still
Topics for next board meeting: newsletter submittal process,
Lakeway crosswalk petition, board roles and
responsibilities, crime at Rock Hill Park.
The meeting adjourned at 8:40.
Submitted by Libby Stark