Association Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, April 18,
7:00 – 9:00 pm
Jackson, Lisa McShane, Tom Scott, Anne Mackie, Jessica Bandstra, Seth
Cool, Carol Dixon, George Liepart, and Libby Stark.
Barbara Davenport, Sarah and Jeff Bates and Elliott Smith
indicated they would not be present.
Guests: Eric Peterson (WWU student) working on neighborhood
plan update (email: email@example.com)
and Nick Hartnich (YN resident)
Elliott Smith and Jeff Bates will attend the next WWU Let’s Talk Forum.
Approval of minutes:
Helen made a motion to approve the minutes from February, March and the
general meeting. Anne seconded and the
motion passed unanimously.
I. Current issues
with an upcoming deadline:
Committee: There have been three
meetings held so far for the neighborhood plan update. York Neighborhood has been divided into
sections with committee members walking around their chosen section and
completing a survey for the goals and ideas of this section. A letter of invitation was given to
particular neighbors to ask them to participate in the plan update. WWU student Eric Peters is available and
will be developing a survey (online and paper) that will be given to YN
residents. A discussion of the plan
updated timeline followed, with most board members agreeing to a 1 ˝ - 2
year timeline for completion of the plan update. The next meeting will be held 4/23 for
the whole group to participate in the walk through the YN. The following meeting will be held 5/7
at 7 pm.
Safety: Elliott was unavailable;
Helen Jackson will email Elliott to check on the grant application for the
Neighborhood Traffic Safety Program (NTSP) that is due 4/30. As sidewalks are not allowed in the
grant, traffic calming along Gladstone will take its place.
Day: A coordinator is needed. Aaron Bandstra,
Jessica’s husband, will coordinate.
Dumpster Day will be held in June.
Anne Mackie also mentioned an alley
clean-up contest with an award given at the September neighborhood
picnic. Rules for the alley
clean-up will be printed in the next newsletter.
- Newsletter: The deadline for articles will be 5/4
with distribution either 5/16 or 5/23.
Articles will include Dumpster Day, the neighborhood plan update
survey and various committee reports.
Email articles to Jessica.
Jessica also reminded board members that the Green Energy Challenge
winners will be announced at the Farmers Market on 4/21 at noon.
ad: George Liepart,
advertising manager, will follow up with Quickie Lube. Anne noted that Signs By Tomorrow, who
recently moved out of the YN, will continue to donate signs. George suggested purchasing Publisher
(or a similar program) for Jessica so she is able to work on the
newsletter at home. Jessica will
investigate program options. At
this point in time it is too expensive to print more newsletters for
community drop off locations (i.e. public library, Food Co-op, etc.).
Forum: Tom is still waiting to hear
back from the Lettered Streets Neighborhood about their
participation. Seth Cool and Nick Hartrich, potential board member, will coordinate the
forum with Tom Scott. The Forum
will be held the first week of June, either the 6th or 7th. At this forum the mayoral race will be
the topic with a following forum held in October with candidates for both
mayor and city council.
Preservation: See attached notes
provided by Barbara Davenport.
Hill Park Steward: George stated
that Rae Edwards from Parks Department will be getting us a trash can for
the park. A Parks Department staff
is also supposed to come and move the arbor so the mower can get
through. George has spread mulch
and noted a neighbor next to the park will donate water for plants in
exchange for two free ads in the Yorker.
Rats are abundant at the empty lot and George has called the Health
Department. Transients have also
been staying at the empty lot. George
urged families to remember to wear shoes due to the broken glass.
Park Committee Chair: See attached
notes provided by Helen. Many
signatures have been collected for the crosswalk across Lakeway petition.
A discussion about the fence at Franklin Park followed. George made a motion to support the
Franklin Park Committee’s recommendation for considering the removal of
the fence and replacing it with natural barriers. Lisa seconded and the motion passed
Club Chair: Carol Dixon reminded
board members there will be a potluck at her home on 4/25 at 6 pm. There was discussion about the alley
clean-up and Carol noted the Master Gardeners will be having a plant sale
at Hovander Park in Ferndale on 5/12 and Carol
would like to carpool to the event.
In past years Garden Club has organized an evening event at Bear
Creek Nursery; Carol will look into it again this year.
- Treasurer: Helen provided the treasury report
indicating we have $1045.14 in our checking account. See attached. Mary Neuman,
of Face It Salon, would like to run an ad in the Yorker. Jessica volunteered to assist in the
Street construction project: Anne
noted press releases are being mailed alerting people to the beginning of
construction on Holly. Alan
Matsumoto, Sehome Neighborhood president, is the
contact person. It was asserted
that next time Public Works will need to do a better job of communicating
with neighbors. Anne will follow up
with Alan about the streetlights that will be placed along Holly. It was stressed for neighbors to be
vigilant about drivers cutting through the YN and they are urged to call
or email Public Works.
apartment at 506 Potter: Seth has
spoken with Darby Galligan, COB Planning
Department, and told board members that Darby and Katie Franks have met
with the designer (Todd Fuller) regarding a request for a design
change. Seth will email a letter
he received that Darby and Katie mailed to Todd about the design. Todd is working on a new design and will
take it back to the city for review.
Adequate parking is still a concern; however Seth stated that the
developer only needs to show improvement.
Board members also expressed concern over the footprint, windows
and roofline of the proposed building.
Anne stated that the Small and Simple grants have gone to the
mayor’s office for consideration.
Topics for next board meeting: newsletter, planning
The meeting adjourned at 9:00.
Submitted by Libby Stark