Association Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, March 21,
7:05 – 8:50 pm
Jackson, Lisa McShane, Elliott Smith, Anne Mackie, Sarah Bates, Jessica Bandstra,
Barbara Davenport, Seth Cool, Carol Dixon, George Liepart,
Nick Hill, Leslie Hill and Libby Stark.
Elliott Smith announced he will be on the WWU
CCC enforcement committee. Elliott is
also able to print out copies of our agendas, if needed, at WWU.
Anne Mackie said there
is a CCC meeting on 5/4 at 11:45; it was suggested that Jeff Bates attend along
with Elliott. Sarah will follow up with
Helen Jackson thanked Anne for letting the board
use Nelson’s. The board will need to
find a new meeting location for the April meeting as Nelson’s is opening its
cafe. George Liepart
offered the use of his home.
Anne said the Small and Simple grant is
completed (two grants, $1200 each). One
grant will be for tree planting and the other for the Franklin School
reunion. Two committee chairs will be
needed for these projects.
The Signs By Tomorrow owners and YN residents
are moving out of the neighborhood. A
$25 gift card to a local nursery will be given as a thank you gift for their
reported that York came in 7th or 8th in the PSE Green
I. Current issues
with an upcoming deadline:
Safety: York submitted, along with Sehome Neighborhood, the TIP (Transportation
Improvement Project) grant specifically asking for crosswalks on Samish and Lakeway (i.e.
“safe pedestrian crossing” in the vicinity of Grant Street). The city is not sure if this is one or
two projects. If it counts as one
project, the crosswalk on Lakeway would be a
priority. The next steps are to
wait for a response from the city.
If the project is not chosen then we re-group and plan the next
step. Elliott said the cost is
somewhere between $75,000 and $125,000 for a crosswalk.
grant, the NTSP (Neighborhood Traffic Safety Program) grant, is due
3/31. Unlike the TIP grant, this
is not for arterial streets.
Several options were discussed:
traffic calming on the long blocks of Franklin, Grant and Humboldt
(1400 blocks), a speed bump on Whatcom Street at
Franklin, traffic calming on Gladstone and a sidewalk on York between
Humboldt and Grant. A vote was
taken and the top choice was traffic calming on Franklin, Grant and
Humboldt. In the grant this will be
worded to have the city do a study to see which of the three streets would
benefit from traffic calming. The
second choice was a speed bump on Whatcom
Street. The third choice was a
sidewalk on York. If sidewalks are
not allowed then traffic calming on Gladstone will replace it.
Preservation: The last meeting was
3/13. WWU interns have been
inventorying houses and one student completed a video history project on
neighborhood residents. The
Franklin School reunion will be held on September 22.
Barbara Davenport said that the latest from the city is that the
fee for local historic designation would be $360 for the entire
neighborhood. Most fees are $25 –
50. Barbara said that the one lot /
one vote issue would have to go before City Council to get changed. The next meeting will be 4/10.
Hill Park Steward: George is the
new park steward. He has been
working with the Parks Department to try and get a bench for the park for
9 months. The park is still too wet
for a work party. George will
follow up with Rae Edwards of the Parks Department regarding trash cans.
Park Committee Chair: See attached
notes provided by Helen.
Club Chair: Carol Dixon is the new
chair of this committee. She has
been in touch with the Master Gardener program and is planning field trips
to other gardens.
- Treasurer: Helen provided the treasury report
indicating we have $918.37 in our checking account. See attached.
Committee: Two meetings have been
held so far to discuss the Neighborhood Plan Update process. The next meeting will be 4/2 (first
Monday of every month). Currently
the committee is recruiting more people to the committee. At the next meeting an overview will be
done of the update process and the timeline. The update will be done in 2008. A training / meeting on 4/3 from 4:30 –
6 will be sponsored by the Planning Department. It was decided that Tom Scott, Helen,
Jeff and Seth Cool should attend.
Street construction project: Anne
reported there was an announcement in the Herald the day of the meeting
with Public Works. Anne attended
along with Alan, Sehome Neighborhood
president. This project is supposed
to cost $1 million and will be from April – September of this year. This project begins at the intersection
of Ellis and Lakeway down to State Street. In order to repave Holly the old trolley
tracks will need to be ripped up.
Apparently the businesses along Holly received a flyer announcing
the upcoming construction. Anne
will follow up with Alan regarding the lack of communication between
Public Works and the neighborhoods.
There is also concern about the types of street lighting to be used
and traffic detouring through the neighborhood.
apartment at 506 Potter: A COB
design review team has met with Arneson to
discuss the historical compatibility of his proposed 4-plex. The hearing will be held in May. Katie Franks, COB, has been involved in
the design review process. Yorkers
will need to meet before the May hearing.
Barbara will be emailing Darby Galligan,
COB, to keep us updated.
- Newsletter: will be published in mid to late May to
publicize Dumpster Day. George will
continue getting ads.
Topics for next board meeting: grant writing, newsletter,
The meeting adjourned at 8:50.
Submitted by Libby Stark