Association Board Meeting Minutes
7:07 – 9:00 pm
Jackson, Tom Scott, Carolyn Mulder, Lisa McShane, Elliott Smith, Anne Mackie,
Jeff Bates and Libby Stark.
Jessica Bandstra and Barbara
Davenport indicated they would not be in attendance.
Gala Gulacsia attended as a
announcements were made.
Anne made a motion we approve the minutes from January. The motion passed unanimously.
Approval of by-laws:
Libby Stark made a motion to change the by-laws as noted, Carolyn
seconded. The motion passed
unanimously. The by-laws will be presented
to the neighborhood at the general meeting on 2/28.
election: Amelia Lunde withdrew; Carol Dixon will run in her place.
apartment at 506 Potter St.: The
Planning Department will do a design review, make a recommendation and
send to the Hearing Examiner. The
photos of good apartments in the York Neighborhood have been sent to Darby
Anne Mackie recommends keeping an eye out
on the Hearing Examiner’s schedule.
Helen Jackson recommends appointing Leslie and Nick Hill as the YNA
Preservation Committee: See
attached notes emailed from Barbara Davenport.
Safety: Elliott Smith reported
there are two separate programs.
The first is the Neighborhood Traffic Safety Program (NTSP). Neighborhoods are encouraged to pick
three projects, the NTSP committee will choose one, for non-arterial
streets (i.e. traffic calming features).
The other program is the Transportation Improvement Program (TIP),
commonly called Major Capitol Improvements that would provide funding for
a major improvement (like a new bridge).
Each neighborhood will choose one project, and from that list of 26
projects (one from each of the 26 neighborhoods), the mayor will choose
the top ten projects for the city to pursue. The deadline is 3/1. After discussion about YNA options, Anne
made a motion to apply for a crosswalk across Lakeway. Lisa McShane
seconded and the motion passed unanimously. Elliott stressed that for easy traffic /
pedestrian changes we call Public Works at 676-6961 (i.e. putting up a “no
turn on red” sign, trimming bushes back).
- Sehome Neighborhood Association / Samish
Way liaison: This discussion will
take place at the Planning Committee meeting 2/24.
CCC work groups: Jeff Bates
reported there were 120 people in attendance including a campus police
officer, city police officer, prosecuting attorney and a student. Jeff spoke about the trash left in yards
and mentioned how important it is for long-term residents and students
alike to introduce themselves to each other at the beginning of the school
year. CCC has multiple committees;
Elliott will serve on the enforcement committee, Jeff will do the
mediation committee and Anne would like to find a replacement for the
and Simple Grant for 2007: This
discussion occurred during the Historic Preservation Committee
report. Anne proposed splitting the
grant proposal into two: Franklin and Lincoln Schools reunion event and
tree planting. Lisa made a motion
to split the grant money between the Franklin and Lincoln Schools reunion
and tree planting, Helen seconded and the motion passed unanimously. There will be a vote at the general
Department grant funding: Jeff
reported there is a $2000 grant available for all county parks. The money will most likely be split
between other neighborhoods. Jeff
will apply for another bench for Rock Hill Park.
membership meeting: The next
general meeting will be held on 2/28 at 7 pm at GSUMC. Katie Franks from Planning and Jonathan Schilk from Parks will be coming to speak about the
Franklin Park project. The agenda
was reviewed and changes were made.
- Newsletter: The newsletter looks fabulous as
always. Jessica Bandstra
will follow up on delivery to ensure newsletters are delivered in time for
the general meeting.
Park Improvements Project: Helen
reported it would be nice to have “block captains” to organize petitions,
newsletter delivery, etc. This is
already happening south of Lakeway. Helen requested board members complete
the survey on Franklin Park; Tom will email this out to the YNA list. Helen has been working with WWU interns
who have been looking at lighting options and assisting with the
survey. Many who have helped with
the park improvements are in favor of a crosswalk across Lakeway.
Street Island 2006 Small and Simple grant review: There was a productive work party and
there is plenty of mulch remaining.
This is a three year project and the next step is to begin buying
plants (next year). Stone benches
have already been bought.
Hill Park Steward: Anne will no
longer be park steward, George Liepart will take
her place. George has been picking
up trash and bought a bench in memory of his wife. The Garden Club will probably donate
Club Chair: The new chair will most
likely be Carol Dixon.
- Treasurer: Helen provided the annual treasury
report indicating we have $748.37 in our checking account. See attached. Helen will separate out the ad donations
in hopes of making the newsletter self-sustaining.
Committee: The next meeting is
scheduled for 2/24 at Nelson’s at 10 am.
At this meeting there will be discussion about the multiple
sub-committees needed to work on the Neighborhood Plan Update.
- Crosswalk: See Traffic Safety bullet.
Topics for next board meeting: Neighborhood Plan Update, 506
Potter, parking / traffic, Franklin Park Improvements Project.
The meeting adjourned at 8:57.
Submitted by Libby Stark