Association Board Meeting Minutes
7:00 – 8:57 pm
Jackson, Barbara Davenport, Tom Scott, Seth Cool, Sarah Bates, Jessica
Bandstra, Carolyn Mulder, Lisa McShane, Leslie Hill, Nick Hill and Libby
Stina Olson, Lynn Gobush and Alan Matsumoto from Sehome attended as
received an email from Lara Welker, Campus Community Coalition, requesting a
YNA board member participate in their Let’s Talk Forum on 1/31 at 5:30. Sarah volunteered her husband, Jeff, to
participate. Libby will pass the
information to Lara.
Helen made a motion we approve the minutes from
December. The motion passed unanimously.
Neighborhood Association: Alan,
Sehome president, is soliciting feedback, questions and looking for a
volunteer to be involved with planning the “urban village” along Samish
Way. There would be one meeting per
month. Sehome Neighborhood received
$2500 for their Neighborhood Plan Update and has 5 hours of COB staff
support for this project. WWU
interns, Sustainable Connections and other stakeholders will be
involved. Board members raised
concerns about safety along Samish and a crosswalk connecting the two
sides of Samish Way. Helen
clarified what an urban village is: a concept of open space, commercial
and residential areas.
writing: Lisa will write a thank
you letter to Tim Steward of Planning and Barbara and Carolyn will edit a
letter Lisa will write to the Herald to correct their misrepresentation of
the Area 5 rezone. Seth will write
a thank you letter to the Planning Commission.
apartment at 506 Potter St.: There
was significant discussion about what board members would like to see
Arnason do or not do to the building.
The designer’s picture of the new building does not look
historic. Tom spoke with a lawyer
who said we should focus on our other issues instead (parking, size,
etc.). Darby Galligan, of Planning,
said to focus on details like parking and porches when writing
letters. Letters are due 1/26/07
and the hearing will be held sometime in March. Planning staff encourage letter writers
to be clear and positive about what we’d like to see. From the last board meeting, parking,
size and scale and block face were the most important issues.
Preservation Committee: WWU interns
will be identifying homes and assisting the committee as it moves forward
in state historic designation. The
design review subcommittee has met and believes Leslie made a motion, and
Helen seconded, to state that height, setback, footprint, non-conforming
use are the main themes. The motion
Committee: The application was
accepted for $2500 for the Planning Academy. The application for the neighborhood
plan update is in the works; Tom needs a copy of the by-laws. Tom reports we are moving forward. Public meetings will most likely take
place this summer and Tom will email the historic preservation committee
and the planning committee to pull both groups together for one large
and Simple Grant: Nothing to
- Greenways: Nick is on the trails committee and
notes that the Whatcom Creek trail is not funded from Meador to
Ellis. A CDBG grant is being sought
by the Parks Dept, however York cannot receive this grant as we just
received one for Franklin Park.
Nick will write a letter of support to the Parks Dept and represent
York at the Greenways meeting 1/31.
YNA’s concerns are with the Meador bridge over the creek, wanting
the trail to go the whole route of the creek and turning the BSD bus barn
into a park.
membership meeting: The next
general meeting will be held on 2/28 at 7 pm at GSUMC. Katie Franks from Planning and Jonathan
Schilk from Parks will be coming to speak about the Franklin Park project.
- Newsletter: The newsletter will be 4 pages long and
articles will be due to Jessica by 2/7.
Topics for the February newsletter include thank yous, update on
trails and the general meeting (including elections). Anne will write a recap of 2006. More deliverers are needed and Jessica
volunteered to coordinate.
Energy Challenge: Jessica reported
York is in 9th place and the deadline to participate in the
program is 2/28. 170 doorknockers
will be hung this coming weekend to encourage neighbors to donate on their
advertisements: Helen and George
met and have a template put together for advertisers.
Park Improvements Project: Helen
reported the work party went well.
Plants will be arriving in March and work parties are scheduled for
the second Saturday of every month.
40 surveys were completed and returned. Interns from WWU will be assisting Helen
in the Project this winter quarter.
Hill Park Steward: Nothing new to
Club Chair: Nothing new to report.
- Treasurer: Helen provided a handout indicating we
have $431.04 in our checking account and $551.82 in our savings
account. See attached. Lisa suggested we look into remittance
envelopes to make it easier for neighbors to send back their
safety and parking: Due to time,
this will be discussed at the February meeting.
Topics for next board meeting: General meeting, 506 Potter,
parking, Franklin Street Island.
The meeting adjourned at 8:57.
Submitted by Libby Stark