Association Board Meeting Minutes
7:06 – 8:57 pm
Jackson, Barbara Davenport, Tom Scott, Elliott Smith, Anne Mackie, Leslie Hill and
Greg Robanser and Laura Witt attended as guests.
YNA received a holiday card from Mayor Tim.
Elliott made a motion we approve the minutes from October
and November. The motion passed
apartment at 506 Potter St.: Not
all neighbors within 500 feet have received the required notification from
the designer Todd Fuller.
According to the drawing, the plot plan does not match the drawing
nor does it address parking and garbage for the apartment. For Arnason to continue, a conditional
use permit (CUP) must be filed with the City and then it will proceed to a
hearing examiner for a public hearing.
It was suggested to respond directly to Todd Fuller’s design with a
letter written by Anne Mackie from the YNA Board (with a cc to the
Planning Department). The letter
will address the size and scale of the building, the historic character of
neighborhood homes, the setback from Grant and Potter Streets and
parking. Board members were
reminded to be cautious about getting too upset over the legacy of poor
property management by Arnason.
Depending on the outcome, the Board felt a lawyer may need to be
consulted for further action. The
next steps include the letter to be written by Anne, Tom will consult with
a property lawyer and another board member will check with the Planning
Department regarding what has and has not been filed with Planning and the
online calendar of hearings with the commissioner. It was mentioned that on December 8
something was filed with the Planning Department.
Committee: Tom Scott yielded in
the interest of time. It was noted
that in the design review section of the Neighborhood Plan Update
architectural guidelines will need to be addressed. Small sub-committees from the Planning
Committee will meet to discuss architectural guidelines (Barbara Davenport
chairing) and parking (Elliott Smith chairing).
and Simple Grant: From the vote at
the October meeting: 6 for traffic calming, 4 for tree planting. Tree planting was last done in the
1980s and would need a coordinator to organize and work with PSE. Last time tree planting was done, PSE
dug the holes. As the York
Neighborhood is not doing so well with the Green Energy Challenge it was
decided that more trees would be the best use of grant money. A motion was made by Anne to write the
Small and Simple grant for tree planting and beautification. Helen seconded and it passed
unanimously. Greg volunteered to
write the grant and coordinate the process. The grant is due in February.
membership meeting: The next
general meeting will be held on 2/28 at 7 pm at WECU. Libby Stark will call WECU and reserve
the room. The agenda will include
NIP grant speakers, the election of officers and several reports from
committees (historic preservation, NIP, Small and Simple grant
area parking: Elliott has spoken
to ten neighbors about parking in the triangle. There are quite a number of cars parked along Garden, High
and one block of Indian Streets whereby drivers park and take the bus up
to WWU, thus limiting available parking to residents. Elliott has spoken with a traffic
officer. It was suggested to
investigate residential parking.
Elliott will chair the parking sub-committee for our Neighborhood
- Newsletter: Topics for the February newsletter
include thank yous and the general meeting (including elections). More deliverers are needed as is
someone to coordinate distribution.
The newsletter will come out sometime in early January.
advertisements: Adich complained
that there ad was old. It was
suggested to pull their ad until the make a further donation and then we
can run a newer looking ad.
Park: Helen Jackson met with Katie
Franks of Planning and Jonathan Schilk of Parks regarding Franklin
Park. Parks wants the YNA to plant
and maintain the vegetation at the park.
Maintenance will be problematic.
Helen will ask for a reconsideration as it is not appropriate that
Yorkers maintain a public park, although YNA is in charge of the hillside
at Franklin Park now.
Hill Park Steward: Nothing new to
Preservation Committee Chair: See
attached notes provided by Barbara.
Club Chair: The annual progressive
dinner party was held on Saturday, December 9. Once again, it was a success.
- Treasurer: Helen provided a handout indicating we
have $585.26 in our checking account and $551.82 in our savings
account. See attached.
caroling recap: It was recommended
that next year we do several shorter runs in order to accommodate more
families. Several families went
home due to long waits and no room on the wagon. Tom will have a map for the drivers next year.
Hanowell of the City of Bellingham was unable to attend due to a
scheduling conflict. She will be
in attendance at the February board meeting. At January’s board meeting Alan, president of Sehome, will
Topics for next board meeting: 506 Potter, general meeting,
The meeting adjourned at 8:57.
Submitted by Libby Stark