Association Board Meeting Minutes
7:11 Ė 9:00 pm
Jackson, Jessica Bandstra, Barbara Davenport, George Liepart, Tom Scott,
Elliott Smith, Lisa McShane, Sarah Bates, Anne Mackie and Libby Stark.†
Seth Cool attended as a guest.†
City of Bellingham has new information on the neighborhoods on their website,
including a pre-launch of a new version of the COB.org site.
Committee:† Tandem parking passed
the Planning Commission 4 Ė 2.†
Helen attended that meeting and has the packet of letters handed
out.† The City Council meeting is
December 4 and Anne Mackie would like to know how we will submit
comments.† Lisa McShane encouraged
board members to submit comments with personal accounts of why York should
be rezoned to single family residential.†
The Planning Subcommittee will be meeting to discuss lobbying
efforts on November 29 at 7 pm at Nelsonís as well as the Planning Academy
grant application.† Tom will email
the whole YNA list.† The board will
put together a formal letter to be submitted to Council.†
Rental Owners Association:† During
testimony at the City Council meeting several Yorkers should refute what
members of the NW Rental Owners Association say and stress that none of
these landlords live in the neighborhood.†
Tom voiced some concern about setting up an in-neighborhood vs.
out-of-neighborhood conflict when talking about persons that do own land
in the neighborhood.
Academy grant:† The grant money can
be used for the neighborhood update.†
Lisa made a motion to spend the $2500 grant money for the
Neighborhood Plan Update.† It was
seconded by George Liepart and was approved unanimously.† The application is due December 1,
2006.† As noted, the Planning
Committee will meet November 29 to complete any work for the
application.† Currently, Tom and
Helen are working on the application packet.
plan update:† This new committee
will need a chair to coordinate meetings and map out goals and
strategies.† The Planning Committee
will be meeting November 29 at 7 at Nelsonís to talk about the
Neighborhood Plan Update.
Park:† Katie Franks of the COB met
with Leslie Bryson of the Parks Dept.†
Helen stressed it is important for York to be strong with what we
want done with the park (i.e. landscaping).† Helen passed around a sign up sheet for volunteers.† Helen will include a survey in the next
newsletter for suggestions.† A work
party was held where no one showed up.†
There is quite a bit of mulch and someone who needs to do community
service will spread the mulch.†
Hill Park Steward:† George reports
mulch is needed; Anne said she would email Parks.† There was a work party with five
Preservation Committee Chair:† See
attached notes provided by Barbara Davenport.
Club Chair:† The annual progressive
dinner party will be held on Saturday, December 9.† Amelia Lunde will email out the
- Treasurer:† Helen provided a handout indicating we
have $537.99 in our checking account and $551.82 in our savings
account.† See attached.†
caroling:† The holiday caroling
wagon ride will be on Saturday, December 16 and begin at 6 pm at
Nelsonís.† Total cost will be about
$400 and Tom and George are looking into donations.† It was suggested to check with the
Bellingham Hearing Center as a potential sponsor.† Tom and George have raised $200 thus
far.† It was suggested to check
with the Bellingham Hearing Center and Adich Chiropractic as potential
sponsors as well.
- Newsletter:† Jessica Bandstra reminded board members
of the articles they would write.†
Delivery will be Saturday, December 2 and Sunday, December 3.†
ads:† Anne made a motion to have
Helen Jackson, George and Jessica come up with rates for advertisements
(currently $100 donation for four business card-sized ad).† Lisa seconded and the motion passed
unanimously.† George made a motion
to have the Garden Street United Methodist Church ad run gratis because of
their providing a room for meetings.†
Elliott Smith seconded and the motion passed unanimously.†
and Simple Grant:† The grant will
be discussed at the December meeting.
apartment at 506 Potter St.:† No
permit has been filed as far as we know.†††
School District redistricting:†
Both Carolyn Mulder and Tom Scott applied to participate on the
committee.† There were only seven
spots and neither Tom nor Carolyn received an invitation.† Tom mentioned he was going to look into
Committee:† The Area 5 rezone
passed and we are waiting to know the date of the City Council
meeting.† The Planning Subcommittee
will be meeting at some point.
board members:† Seth Cool was
interested in joining the board.†
He has met the requirements.†
Anne made a motion to accept Seth as a board member.† It was seconded by Helen and passed
Hanowell of the City of Bellingham will be attending the next board
meeting (December 20) to observe neighborhood activities.
Neighborhood Association wants to be an urban village and wants to discuss
with York their plans and solicit input.†
Their president Alan will be coming to the January board meeting
(1/17).† Sehome Neighborhood
Association is in the early stages of a proposal for an urban village
between Sehome and York on Samish.†
Sehome wants to discuss with York their plans and solicit
input.† Their president Alan will
be coming to the January board meeting (1/17).† Tom will keep tabs on their progress in the mean time.
Topics for next board meeting: Area 5 rezone, Small and
Simple grant, Triangle area parking.
The meeting adjourned at 9:00.
Submitted by Libby Stark