Association Board Meeting Minutes
6:58 – 8:55 pm
Garden Street United
Jackson, Anne Mackie, Jessica Bandstra, Barbara Davenport, Judy Bachman and
Carolyn Mulder indicated she would not be present.
Jeff Bates attended as a guest.
Planning Academy sessions will be broadcast on channel 10. Lisa McShane and Helen Jackson are
Approval of minutes from May, June, July and August board
meetings. Anne Mackie made a motion to
approve the minutes as written and adjusted by Libby Stark. Jessica Bandstra seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
The board thanked Judy Bachman for her hard work and
dedication to the YNA for the past two years.
Park architect Jonathan Schilk:
Input was received from Loving Space preschool children on the
playground design. Jonathan said
the final deliverables will be known at the end of September so the
drawing that was brought to the meeting was still a draft. The plan attempts to avoid a negative
impact on the area trees and Jonathan noted there will be paving from end
to end (north to south) along the hillside. Playground equipment will be age appropriate and includes
two slides, two platforms, a merry-go-round, and firefighter poles. Unfortunately the designers are still
over budget so to solve this problem the stand-alone toys may be
concentrated / some eliminated and additions made to the play
structure. By adding to the play
structure more children will be accommodated and less space will be
used. The design maintains the
swings. The drawings provided by
Jonathan will be brought to the YNA picnic on 9/23 at Franklin Park. Depending on the budget a bike
turnaround might be an option at one end of the paved path. Jonathan said the wall is starting to
slide but does not affect the playground plans.
grant for Lakeway crosswalk and Franklin Park: The Neighborhood Initiative
Program grant is for $150,000 and is due 9/29. The NIP grant is federal money and designed for low-income
to moderate income neighborhoods.
Projects take 3 – 7 years from start to finish. Helen has been talking with Katie Franks
of the COB Community Development Department who encourages York to
apply. Jeff Bates made a map of
Franklin Park and Helen provided a key to accompany a proposal for area
improvements. If York does receive
the grant the first year would be working on the master plan, the second
year project design and the third year implementation. The grant would not include the
crosswalk across Lakeway; the crosswalk would require consultation. A motion was made by Barbara Davenport
to apply for the NIP grant for crosswalk and Franklin Park
improvements. Anne seconded. The motion passed unanimously.
Street island: Helen reports
volunteers are still needed. Helen
and neighbor Cindy went through the island with Travis Kerry and Katie
Franks of COB Community Development.
It is suggested the YNA do erosion control this winter and clean up
spring 2007. Of concern are the
blackberries. The Small and Simple
grant has been revised to include a tree specialist to come in and cut
down some trees. The next work
party is 10/14.
Hill Park Steward: George Liepart has been doing some work and has donated
a bench in memory of his late wife.
Anne is going to ask the Garden Club to donate a few plants to put
around the bench. The arbor has
not been removed by the Parks Department yet.
general Membership Picnic: Jessica
notes announcements are being made for the picnic on 9/23 for neighborhood
volunteers. Extra newsletters will
be available as will donation slips.
Tables and chairs will be provided from GSUMC and hauled by
Jessica’s husband Aaron and Jeff.
If it is sprinkling out the picnic will move to Judy’s
carport. If it is raining the
picnic will be cancelled.
Preservation Committee Chair:
Barbara said that to move forward the committee will focus on
national and state designation.
WWU will be providing two interns, to be supervised by Toni Nagel
of the Whatcom Museum. Michael Houser,
an architectural historian from the state, will be coming sometime in
November to discuss with the Preservation Coalition their concerns about
designation. Other WWU interns may
be available to assist with the application process.
Club Chair: The Garden Club held a
potluck at Carol Dixon’s house.
- CDAB: Judy reported there are two candidates
for Ward 4; including Anne Russel from York.
and Simple grant: Grants are due
at the end of February. There was
discussion about what York wants to apply for. It was suggested it depends on what happens with the NIP
grant. Anne suggested the traffic
calming ladybugs (large cement “turtles” painted to look like ladybugs) as
- Treasurer: Helen provided a handout indicating we
have $822.66 in our checking account and $551.61 in our savings
account. See attached. The balance does not include money
spent on the picnic or newsletter.
- Newsletter: The fall edition of The Yorker exceeded
cost expectations. It was
suggested that we look to keep the future newsletters around 4 pages and /
or send out an email newsletter.
The next edition will come out in November or December to announce
the City Council meeting on the rezone and will probably be a front / back
general meeting: Libby said three
speakers are lined up for 10/3 at 7 pm at GSUMC. Alex Ramel will talk about PSE’s green power challenge, a
speaker from Nooksack Salmon Enhancement Association will talk about
stream steward volunteer opportunities and Marissa of the Healthy Bay
initiative will talk about the latest on clean-up of Bellingham Bay. Helen and Lisa will be unavailable to
discuss the Area 5 rezone. Perhaps
Anne will lead discussion. Childcare
will be provided. By-laws will be
available for review and then voted on.
apartment at 506 Potter St.: Anne
reported we have not heard anything from Hal Arnason. Neighbors should email the architect
Todd Fuller their suggestions.
Petitions are still being collected. Anne had a meeting with Malcolm Fleming of COB.
Committee: no formal report was
code meeting: Anne said the ABN
meeting will be held 9/27 at Jones Moles Funeral Home and will include a
discussion about code enforcement.
Anne typed up questions and is requesting feedback by 9/22 before
emailing the guest speaker from COB.
See attached for code questions.
Topics for next board meeting: Area 5 rezone, general
The meeting adjourned at 8:55.
Submitted by Libby Stark