York Neighborhood Association Board Meeting Minutes
Wednesday, July 19, 2006
7:05 – 9:05 pm
Present: Tom Scott,
Helen Jackson, Anne Mackie, Jessica Bandstra, Barbara Davenport, Amelia Lunde,
Carolyn Mulder and Libby Stark. George
Liepart and David Wainright indicated they would not be present.
John Wiley, Lisa and Dan McShane and Jerry and Vivian Hruska
attended as guests.
announcements were made.
Club Chair: There was no meeting
in July. Amelia has spent a lot of
time weeding at Rock Hill Park.
Hill Park Steward: On Friday, July
21 at noon Anne and Amelia will be meeting with Marvin Harris of the Parks
Department to discuss the butterfly arbor. The Parks Department wants the arbor removed for safety
reasons and that their riding lawnmower can’t get through. Anne and Amelia will also talk to them
about the use of Round-Up. Barbara
has also called Parks questioning the use of Round-Up. Anne is going to follow up with Parks
on trash cans and lighting.
5-plex at 506 Potter: Anne, Tom
and Libby have received no notice from the city regarding the proposed
tear-down at 506 Potter. A meeting
will be held on Wednesday, July 27 at WECU at 6 pm regarding the proposed
tear-down. Anne drafted a letter
to be mailed to city officials disputing Hal Arnason’s claims and
requesting the meeting be postponed.
The letter objects to granting Anason a non-conforming use permit
for the lot.
Preservation Committee Chair: Toni
Nagel of the Whatcom Museum and Lettered Streets neighborhood and Barbara
worked with other neighborhoods (South Hill, Broadway) on sharing
information regarding local historic designation. Other neighborhoods had received different
information from the Planning Department as well. The next meeting will be a Q & A
with Marilyn Vogel and Tim Stewart, both of the Planning Department, on
August 9 at 7 pm.
Park Renovation Chairs: The dog
station is in and is very popular.
Katie Franks of the city Planning Department is working on the
bureaucracy of putting in a sidewalk across Lakeway. She says it will take about three
Street Island: No report given.
- Treasurer: Helen provided a handout indicating we
have $27.66 in our checking account and $1091.61 in our savings
account. See attached.
Committee Chair: All “renewal”
letters have been mailed out for 2003, 2004 and 2005. Donation forms will be set out at the
next rezone meeting in August.
Membership Picnic: Jessica
volunteered to be a co-chair. The
picnic will be advertised in the fall newsletter. Saturday, September 23 is the date of
the picnic. YNA will pay for hot
dogs and buns and even numbered houses will bring a main dish and odd
numbered houses will be a dessert or salad. Activities for children will need to be organized. At the fall meeting in October YNA will
hope to have People for a Healthy Bay and NSEA come as guests. By-laws will also have to be approved.
at general meetings: Childcare will
be provided at the next rezone meeting in August. YNA will investigate childcare for
future meetings. Having meetings
at GSUMC is a good option as there are multiple rooms.
knockers, landlord letters, fall newsletter: Door knockers will be handed out one week before the picnic
in September along with the fall newsletter. The newsletter will include a column requesting donations
from “expired” businesses, a summary of the 506 Potter tear-down, rezone
update and the picnic. The
landlord letter will be mailed to all landlords and paid for by WWU Campus
Committee Chair: The rezone
meeting went well and there was consensus for single family. Some developers wanted south of Lakeway
designated differently than the north side. Next steps include writing a narrative section with YNA’s
hopes and ideas (i.e. traffic calming, pedestrian safety) and where higher
density could be absorbed (ADUs, not in Area 5 but still in the York
Neighborhood like at Wilson Motors).
Using the school bus barn as green space was a popular suggestion
at the rezone meeting. The
Planning Committee will be meeting before August 8 to organize for that
Topics for next board meeting: General membership picnic,
rezone meeting recap, newsletter.
The meeting adjourned at 9:05.
Submitted by Libby Stark